Monday, February 20, 2012

Because Hell Would Be Fabulous

         Being a Christian from the south I have heard more than once that homosexuality will send you straight to hell. I believe the church has a lot to do with the way people view homosexuality. We were told to write about the readings or how our views of sexuality have been changed, but I can’t help but to think about the movie. It just helps me to feel that much better about my views.

          I believe in Bible. I believe in its teachings. I however, think that the Bible was written for a different time. The Bible has been used as a basis of oppression for years. I do not think that was the intention of the Bible. The Bible was made as a guide to live by.

          What I find most interesting about people who use the Bible to say homosexuality is wrong are funny to me. The Bible says a sin is a sin not one is bigger than the other.  People who spout verses to back up their beliefs often tend to forget the verses that condemn themselves.

          The Bible says that lying, cheating, stealing, sex before marriage, idolizing, dishonoring your parents, and wanting what your neighbor has along with many other things are sins. If one sin sends you to hell, shouldn’t they all if they are equal?

          From a very early age I was taught that owning up to your sins and asking for forgiveness works. Being saved gets you to heaven not the sins you do or do not commit. I find it sad that the people who say no one but God can judge do the most judging. I think that churches forget they are the hands and feet and face of a God we cannot see. If I was a homosexual and had never experienced the church I would surely stay away from most.

          I had a friend once tell me if every sin in the Bible sent us to hell, well heaven would be empty. But, the thing that sticks out most to me is a church sign I saw in a photo one time. It simply said “If all the homosexuals went to hell, then hell would be fabulous.” As stereotypical as this sign is I love it because I believe that God loves us all. He is not sending anyone to hell for their sexual orientation but for the salvation they may or may not have. I fully believe it is not how you do or do not live your life but how your heart reflects your life.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot you said in this blog post. I also believe in the Bible and its teachings, and also believe that all sins are equal, regardless if it is homosexuality. I personally grew up in the church and was taught that it's not ok to be homosexual, but I still have respect for homosexuals and their lifestyles. I had many gay friends growing up so I have never discriminated against someone based on their sexual orientation. I also believe that God does love us all and we will be judged based on our salvation and not the sins we commit- I really enjoyed this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how the things we talk about in this class keep popping up in my daily life. I had a conversation with a few of my closest friends the other night about this. One of them told me that being gay was a sin and a disease much like alcoholism or being addicted to drugs. I didn't lose it like I thought I would but I did say rather enthusiastically that being gay is not a sin. I just don't understand why a person has to choose between their sexuality and a relationship with God. We can't condemn others to hell. No one knows the true nature and relationship another person has with their God. No one has that power.

    ReplyDelete